For fans of the hit musical Notre Dame de Paris. This forum encompasses all versions of the production.

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

English Translations

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Fiyero3305

PostSubject: English Translations   Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:36 pm

I have been working on translating the Spanish versions of the songs. Unfortunately I don't really speak Spanish, what I know comes from studying it in school and using online translators to help fill in the gaps. As such I'd like to get some feedback from the users here on my work, since I believe some here can actually speak the language. I've made videos for "La Cancion de la Zingara" and "La Corte de los Milagros" but have translations ready for a few more songs:

There were definitely a couple phrases that threw me (like "Paris me dio su cara y cruz") and I think I'd benefit from a true speaker's help.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
musicskies

PostSubject: Re: English Translations   Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:23 am

Hey there! I speak Spanish, so hopefully I'll be able to help!

La canción de la Zíngara:

"En ninguno eché mi raíz". The translation is fine! but if you want to be literal you should say "In none did I take root", in past tense! Though it's probably in past to fit with the syllables so it's okay if you don't change it Smile

"¿Y mañana qué será de mí?" I'd say it's not "for me" but "of me". I'm not sure there's a literal translation for what she says, but it would be something like "What will happen to me tomorrow?" or "What will tomorrow bring for me?"

"En mi mano está mi povenir". The translation is, strictly speaking, correct, but it kind of looks a little bit weird? =P I'd translate it as "The future is in my hand" I suppose she's talking about the lines of her hand, so maybe I'd put it like this: "The future is [written] in my hand"!

"Paris me dio su cara y cruz" Uhm. What a confusing line!! I don't exactly know what she's talking about? lol When people say "cara y cruz" they're usually talking about coins, you know? hahah! I think you're translation may be what the song's trying to say!

"Por los montes de la Provenza" I'd say "Through the mountains of Provence"

Al cielo andaluz "yo volveré" - I wouldn't say "If I return", I think I'd say "I will return"

I hope I could help!! Very Happy

I'll take a look to the other song soon!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://musicskies.tumblr.com/
Fiyero3305

PostSubject: Re: English Translations   Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:16 pm

Thanks so much for your help! I may redo this video sometime, I just don't get sick of this song! I've been thinking of maybe changing my translation of "En mi mano está mi porvenir" to "My future is on my hand", how do you feel about that? I think it works fairly well with the implication that she's talking about it physically being on her hand without adding words to what she has actually said. I know my original phrasing is awkward but I don't want to go with "My future is in my hand" since that's already an English phrase referring to being in control of one's own future and I don't think that's what she's saying here.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
musicskies

PostSubject: Re: English Translations   Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:32 am

Glad I could help! Very Happy Yeah, I know what you mean about the phrase referring to being in control of one's life, that's why I thought maybe if you added a "written" there it could help... but since the song doesn't actually say that, I think "My future is on my hand" sounds nice!

I'll take a look at the other video soon!
You said you have other translations, right? If you want, you can put them here before you actually make the video (or send them to me on a PM) so you don't have to redo it if something needs to be changed! Wink
Back to top Go down
cordelia

PostSubject: Re: English Translations   Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:08 am

I definitely wouldn't have thought to translate the Spanish lyrics back to English! Have you noticed any significant differences between the Spanish lyrics and say, the original French? Or the Italian? (Besides the fact that Spanish and Italian tend to have more syllables to a word than French, the most obvious example of which is the chorus for "Fête des fous", and how that phrase gets turned into the two-line "esta es la fiesta / fiesta de los locos".)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
musicskies

PostSubject: Re: English Translations   Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:29 am

Hey, I'm back with more help with the translations!! Very Happy

La corte de los milagros:

"Aquí sí somos hermanos". This "sí" is not conditional, it's like an affirmation, so I'd translate it as "Here we are all brothers". The "sí" is probably there just so the words fit the syllables Smile

"Ni lo más celestial ni lo más infernal". It's kind of a difficult sentence to translate. Your translation sort of implies that you won't find a trace or heaven or hell because it's sort of an "earthy" place, maybe? It could mean that!
A more literial translation would be something along the lines of "you won't find anything too celestial or too infernal here" Man, I have to think about this one, it's tricky!

"Somos gusanos que viven". I'm not sure I would have put that "merely" here! Because they aren't "merely" anything, you know? They're la corte de los milagros!! Razz

"Mendigo y rufián tocan el mismo son" literally means that they, erm, play the same song? It's a spanish saying, hard to translate. It means that they are of the same kind, that they go along, I guess? It's hard to explain!

"Es posible el milagro si tú vives aquí" Maybe I'd say "if you live here", and not "if you're from here". Then, on another chorus, they do say "si tú eres de aquí", which does mean "if you're from here". Maybe you could mark that difference?

"Nos evadimos de cualquier prisión" your translation is allright, but maybe I'd take out the "can" and say "And we evade any prison"

"Aquí no te fichan por ser un truhán" I'm not sure how I would translate "no te fichan", so I think your translation is fine because it has more or less the same meaning! Smile

"Te podrían ahorcar por tu intromisión en este gran cenáculo" I actually had to look up "cenáculo" because I didn't know what it meant. The dictionary says it's the room where Jesus Christ celebrated the last supper. "Cenacle" is the exact translation. I think it's interesting that they give this reference, maybe you could add it in the translation too!
I think I'd translate it as "You could be hanged for your intromission in this (big) cenacle"

"Quieres tú desposar a este pobre juglar" - "Do you want to marry this poor ministrel"

"Si hay que hacerlo qué más da". Hm, another hard one, mostly because I don't think this "qué más da" fits here, it's like she doesn't care at all or something. I'd say "If it must be done, I don't care", "I don't mind", "whatever" or "I'll do it". Honestly, I don't like either so choose whichever you want!

"Te tomaré por marido..." "I'll take you as a/my husband but never as a lover!"

I wish I could be more helpful, I've never translated anything before so I'm bad at this Razz
Back to top Go down
Fiyero3305

PostSubject: Re: English Translations   Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:38 pm

Thank you again for all your help! I think I have "If you live here" and "If you're from here" mixed up in a couple spots because I wasn't listening closely enough to where they were supposed to go.

Yeah, I wasn't wild about that line for Esmeralda about "Que mas da", I guess they were trying to illustrate that she's not marrying him for any hint of affection, but just because she has to?

I'll try to post some more of my translations for your input, but I may have lost them. I just got a new computer because my old one won't turn on anymore and it had all my works in progress on it. Hopefully I can recover them somehow!

cordelia wrote:
I definitely wouldn't have thought to translate the Spanish lyrics back to English! Have you noticed any significant differences between the Spanish lyrics and say, the original French? Or the Italian? (Besides the fact that Spanish and Italian tend to have more syllables to a word than French, the most obvious example of which is the chorus for "Fête des fous", and how that phrase gets turned into the two-line "esta es la fiesta / fiesta de los locos".)

I haven't noticed anything big, the only thing I've picked up on is that the gypsies seem a bit more threatening in general in this version. "Los Sin Papeles" has more aggressive lyrics than "Les Sans Papiers" with lines like "The doors are forced upon/I'm going to take Paris/Paris will be conquered/" (assuming my translations are accurate, lol)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
musicskies

PostSubject: Re: English Translations   Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:39 am

I'm glad I could help! Very Happy

Oh, I hope you haven't lost them! Losing files from a computer is horrible!

Hm, I'll take a look at "los sin papeles"... I've listened to it, but I didn't pay much attention to the lyrics to be honest! It will be interesting to see if they are more threatening Smile
Back to top Go down
Fiyero3305

PostSubject: Re: English Translations   Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:46 pm

I got the files off my old computer! Here's what I've got for "La Era de las Catedrales":

Es una historia que ocurrio
En paris, ano del senor
Mil cuatrocientos ochenta y dos
Es del deseo y del amor
Cualquier artista anonimo
De la escultura o del rimar
La intentaremos transcribir
A la inmortalidad

Llego la era de las catedrales
El mundo entro
En un milenario mas
El hombre vio los mundos estelares